Alex de Minaur is a doubt for the Australian Open after having to withdraw from the Adelaide International, it has been revealed.

De Minaur said that he will have daily treatment on an abdominal injury; as he aims to get fit in time for his home event in Melbourne and one which could massively impact his rankings.

This is especially because of not defending prize money he won last year; he could come up against well-known players quite early; despite not feeling great about the situation, his main focus is to recover.

“At the moment we’re going to take it day by day,” he said to reporters on Monday. “It’s something that is not ideal. And at this stage we are just looking at short-term goals and trying to get better each day [with] a lot of treatment.

“I have seen the physios, I have seen the doctors, and I will be continuing to do that for the whole of the week; hopefully I will be ready to play in Melbourne.”

“Obviously I am not in the happiest mood,” de Minaur added. “But it’s something that happens … I have just got to do whatever I can to make sure my body recovers. And right now my sole focus in on making sure I recover for my next one [tournament].”

 

Tags:

Author: Samuel Gill