Tennis-IOC has acted irresponsibly in Peng case says Sport & Rights alliance

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has acted irresponsibly in regard to missing Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai, the Sport & Rights Alliance said on Wednesday.

The three-time Olympian and former doubles world number one has been the subject of international concern after she posted a message on social media last month alleging that China’s former Vice-Premier Zhang Gaoli had sexually assaulted her.

IOC President Thomas Bach said Peng was safe and well after a 30-minute phone call with her on Nov. 21, after Western governments and the global tennis community expressed concern for her wellbeing. The 35-year-old had not been seen for nearly three weeks since making her allegations.

"The behavior of the IOC in relation to Peng Shuai’s sexual assault allegations and disappearance has been irresponsible and shows just how hollow its understanding of human rights really is" says Andrea Florence, acting director of the Sport & Rights Alliance.

She further said:

“The IOC’s eagerness to ignore the voice of an Olympian who may be in danger and to support claims of state-sponsored media in China shows the urgent and critical need for an IOC human rights strategy.”

Read more about:
WTA Peng Shuai

Place comments

666

0 Comments

More comments

You are currently seeing only the comments you are notified about, if you want to see all comments from this post, click the button below.

Show all comments