Kazakhstanโs tennis star
Alexander Shevchenko has joked after
having being drawn to face the world number three
Daniil Medvedev at the Emirati
ATP 500 tournament.
The 23-year-old is set to face the Russian tennis star in
the round of 32 of the competition on Monday in Dubai.
After being informed about his draw, Shevchenko joked about it
and stated that it would be better to maybe redo the draw. โBasically, I
thought itโs better to redo the draw,โ he said.
Talking about his first roundโs opponent, Shevchenko stated
that he is hopeful of testing one of the best players in the world.
โObviously itโs different playing here (compared to Madrid);
he won last year, heโs the defending champion and just a great player,โ he said.
โTo beat him you have to play your best and hopefully he plays a little bit
below his average. Letโs see, letโs hope.โ
Shevchenko has been on a bit of a role as he has played in
the quarterfinal of two out of the last five major ATP events.
He lost in the last eight of the Open Sud De France to Alexander Bublik with a score of 4-6,
6-3, 6-4. Later in an ATP event in Rotterdam, his journey came to an end after
losing in the quarterfinal to Grigor Dimitrov with a score of 7-6, 3-6, 6-4.