“A women’s draw? We are open to it”: Montecarlo director David Massey signals possible WTA expansion

WTA
Friday, 20 February 2026 at 08:30
carlosalcarazimago1060934890
David Massey, director of the Montecarlo Masters 1000, reiterated the tournament’s growing success while leaving the door open to a future women’s draw. Speaking at the official presentation this Thursday at the Bay Hermitage Hotel in Monaco, opposite the Montecarlo Country Club, Massey highlighted both the popularity of the men’s event and the potential for expansion.
“A women’s draw? We are open to it,” Massey said when asked about the possibility of a women’s singles draw in Montecarlo someday, according to L’Equipe. “It’s still a project, perhaps in the future. We have not advanced anything.”
“It has been discussed, perhaps holding a WTA and ATP tournament simultaneously. For that, we need more days,” added the tournament director. “We remain open to it, but it is not the plan for now. It depends on the calendar. We need more weeks between Miami (March 17–28) and our tournament, and adding more days. It will be a long-term project.”
The tournament, scheduled from April 4 to 12 for its 129th edition, has established itself as a landmark on the ATP Tour. Last year’s attendance record of 154,169 tickets sold illustrates the event’s popularity and the challenges of accommodating additional draws. Massey noted that the venue’s maximum capacity is practically reached, and future expansions would require careful planning.
Even as the discussion about a women’s draw remains preliminary, Massey stressed that the current 56-player men’s draw is both competitive and distinctive. “We are happy with the current format, with a 56-player draw. Paris and we are the only two Masters 1000 tournaments organized this way. It gives an extremely competitive first round, more than a Grand Slam or other tournaments where you can progress slowly.”

Conditions for a future women’s tournament

Massey emphasized that integrating a WTA event would require adjustments to the calendar and schedule. A combined ATP and WTA tournament would necessitate additional days and a buffer between major events like Miami and Montecarlo. “We need more weeks between Miami and our tournament, and adding more days. It will be a long-term project,” he said, signaling that any changes would not be immediate.
The director also highlighted technological and operational improvements planned for the men’s event. New player-level cameras, already present at other tournaments, will be introduced to enhance the broadcast experience. These upgrades demonstrate the tournament’s willingness to evolve while maintaining its traditional format.
Despite the speculative nature of a women’s draw, Massey framed the discussion within the tournament’s broader strategy: maintaining a highly competitive men’s field while exploring future opportunities. “It’s still a project, perhaps in the future. We remain open to it, but it is not the plan for now,” he reiterated, underlining the cautious but receptive approach toward potential expansion.
Currently, there are six WTA 1000 / Masters tournaments played both in men’s and women’s categories. The Sunshine Double with Indian Wells and Miami Open – then two clay-court tournaments: Madrid Open and Rome Open. Finally, in the weeks leading up to the US Open, both men and women compete in the Canadian Open and Cincinnati – with the particularity that in Canada the cities alternate between Toronto and Montreal – back in 2025 Mboko won in Montreal, while Ben Shelton triumphed in Toronto.

Innovation and tradition at Montecarlo

Montecarlo remains unique among Masters 1000 events, both in its format and prestige. By preserving a 56-player draw, the tournament delivers high-intensity matches from the opening round, setting it apart from other ATP events.
Massey noted that this structure benefits both players and fans, ensuring competitive matches and a dynamic spectator experience. “Here it is difficult. And we like that. It is intense for the players, but it is a format they enjoy and that fans also enjoy.”
The tournament’s most successful champion is the King of Clay – Rafael Nadal, champion of 11 Monte-Carlo titles in 12 finals contested. It is the second tournament Nadal has won the most times – only behind the 14 titles at the French Open – in addition to holding a record of up to 8 consecutive titles (2005–2012) and 9 consecutive finals. Other notable champions include Juan Carlos Ferrero, Guga Kuerten, Marcelo Ríos, Thomas Muster – and more recently Stefanos Tsitsipas and Carlos Alcaraz.
claps 0visitors 0
loading

Just In

Popular News

Latest Comments

Loading