You can find all you need to know about the Eastbourne International including the entry list, draw, schedules, results, prize money, and more on tennisuptodate.
Date: 26 June - 1 July
Category: ATP 250 & WTA 500
Draw Size: 32S/16D
Prize Money and points distribution: Click here
ATP Entry List: Click here
WTA Draw: Click here
WTA Entry List: Click here
The Eastbourne International, also known as the Nature Valley International, is a professional tennis tournament held annually in Eastbourne, United Kingdom. It is part of the ATP Tour for men and the WTA Tour for women. Here's all you need to know about the Eastbourne International:
- The Eastbourne International has a long-standing history, with the men's tournament dating back to 1974 and the women's tournament to 1971.
- Initially, the tournament was held on grass courts, but in 2009, it switched to a combination of grass and hard courts.
- The tournament takes place at the Devonshire Park Lawn Tennis Club in Eastbourne, a seaside town in East Sussex, England.
- The club features multiple grass courts and hard courts, providing players with a variety of playing surfaces.
- The Eastbourne International is unique in that it offers both grass and hard court events.
- The grass courts are known for their fast and low-bouncing nature, while the hard courts provide a different challenge with a higher bounce and medium pace.
- The tournament follows a single-elimination format for both men and women.
- The main draws typically consist of 32 players, including direct acceptances, qualifiers, and wildcards.
- Matches are best-of-three sets for both men and women.
- The Eastbourne International serves as a crucial warm-up event for players preparing for Wimbledon, the third Grand Slam of the year.
- The tournament provides players with an opportunity to fine-tune their grass court skills and adjust to the unique playing conditions before the prestigious major.
- The Eastbourne International has seen numerous top-ranked players and Grand Slam champions capture titles over the years. Some notable past champions include Novak Djokovic, Caroline Wozniacki, Serena Williams, and Justine Henin.
- The tournament offers an intimate setting for spectators, allowing them to get up-close views of the action on the courts.
- Eastbourne is known for its picturesque location, with stunning coastal scenery adding to the overall experience for fans attending the event.
Overall, the Eastbourne International is a highly regarded tennis tournament that attracts top players from around the world. With its combination of grass and hard courts, it provides a unique challenge and serves as a vital stepping stone for players preparing for Wimbledon. The tournament's rich history, beautiful location, and competitive matches make it a must-watch event for tennis enthusiasts.