Madison Keys revealed that she has been struggling with health issues since her participation in the Australian Open earlier this year.
The 28-year-old athlete said she had shingles in her mouth and later suffered from food poisoning. Following her second-round match at the Rome Open, the American spoke with Tennis Channel about the weeks she has gone through since the first Grand Slam of the year, in which she lost to former world No. 1 Victoria Azarenka.
“After Australian Open, I got shingles, but in my mouth, and I couldn't eat for three weeks, so I lost like 15 pounds," former world No.7 said.
Badosa, Jabeur, Gauff, Keys and Trevisan among players to send well wishes to Anisimova amid mental health break
After her second-round match at the Rome Open, the American spoke with Tennis Channel about the weeks she went through after the first Grand Slam of the year, where she was defeated by former world No. 1 Victoria Azarenka. She continued with a liquid diet which caused her problems at the BNP Paribas Open Indian Wells 2023 and led to her suffering from food poisoning.
"I have no muscle, I'm so tired all the time, and knowing that Madrid was two weeks and I kind of had almost a month to kind of just rebuild, felt like it was more important for me to get through the rest of the season," Keys added.
Madison Keys won in the second round of the WTA 1000 in Rome against Polish player Magdalena Frech in straight sets. In the third round, she will face Belarusian Azarenka, the same player who eliminated her in Australia.