Amelie Mauresmo shuts down prize money debate before French Open begins: “We will not touch prize money”

Tennis News
Thursday, 21 May 2026 at 19:00
copyright proshots 23516079
Roland Garros director Amélie Mauresmo has confirmed there will be no changes to prize money ahead of this year’s French Open, ruling out any short-term revision despite growing tension between tournament organisers and players. The statement comes just days before the start of the main draw in Paris, with discussions over Grand Slam revenue distribution intensifying across the tour.
The dispute centres on the percentage of tournament revenue allocated to players at Grand Slams, estimated at around 15 percent, compared with an estimated average of roughly 22 percent across ATP and WTA events. The issue has gained renewed attention following recent comments from leading players and a more coordinated approach emerging around financial demands.
Mauresmo delivered her position during the Roland Garros draw ceremony, making clear that the current prize money structure will remain unchanged for this edition. While dialogue with player representatives continues, organisers have maintained their stance ahead of Sunday’s start of the tournament in Paris.
The situation is also unfolding alongside increased coordination among players regarding media obligations, with several limiting press availability ahead of the event. The measures add another layer of organisational pressure as Roland Garros prepares for the opening round.

Mauresmo rules out changes

Mauresmo rejected any adjustment to the prize money structure for this year’s tournament during her media duties in Paris, making the position of Roland Garros clear ahead of the start of competition.
She pointed to the long-term financial growth of the tournament as justification for maintaining the current model. “No, we are not going to change anything. We are going to initiate discussions and that is what everyone wants," she said. “Our prize money has doubled in ten years and has increased significantly in recent times."
The French Open confirmed on 16 May a 9.5 percent increase in total prize money, bringing the overall pool to €61.7 million. The singles champions will receive €2.8 million each, an increase of €300,000 compared with last year’s edition.
copyright proshots 23528324

Player pressure and ongoing dialogue

The dispute follows renewed scrutiny from leading players, including world No.1 Aryna Sabalenka, who has raised concerns over the proportion of revenue distributed at Grand Slams and suggested possible collective action if negotiations fail to progress.
Mauresmo acknowledged the sensitivity of the situation but confirmed that discussions with player representatives remain active ahead of the tournament, with communication channels still open between both sides.
She added that organisers are continuing dialogue as they attempt to manage the situation before play begins in Paris. “We take these threats seriously, which is why we have called a meeting with player representatives for Friday with the intention of taking a step towards them,” the former world No. 1 stated.
She also expressed measured confidence in the process, noting that talks are ongoing as Roland Garros prepares for the opening round. “I trust those conversations,” she said.
The French Open will begin this Sunday with both the men’s and women’s draws, as the tournament looks to crown its new champions. Defending men’s champion Carlos Alcaraz will not be present due to injury, while in the women’s draw the defending champion is Coco Gauff, who enters this edition as the No. 4 seed and was part of the draw ceremony on Thursday.
claps 0visitors 0
loading

Just In

Popular News

Loading